I LOVE the dentist and that was said with as much sarcasm possible. I like my dentist but I don't like going to the dentist. Well this morning I had to go. I have had a tooth that has been bothering me lately. So I wanted to get it checked before it got any worse. I've been nervous for the last couple of weeks wondering if I was going to have to have a root canal or some other unpleasant thing done. So I finally called on Tuesday. The pain wasn't so bad that I thought I was going to die, but it was bad enough that I was covering up my tooth anytime I'd take a drink and I'd chew on the opposite side. Even tap water was beginning to hurt it.
So I go into the office and they get me right in, take some x-rays and the dentist is there right away. One nice thing about having a 7:30 am appointment! They can't be to far behind! :)
They tap my teeth, poke, prod, have grind them on a little blue thingy (yeah not sure what that's called) and do a cold test. Then they give me this wire thing and say, "You get to hold this it's the ground!" What???? I didn't know this was going to be a torture treatment. In fact the dentist even said, "We're really not trying to torture you but we really need to replicate the problem." So I'm thinking they're going to zap me! So he tells me to lift my hand when it starts to tingle. Yeah right I have this vision going through my mind of me spasming from the little shock they plan on giving me. Well it actually wasn't that bad. It was a little tingle. But I have a problem trusting dentists after one in Utah told me that since I had braces my mouth, teeth, gums in general were tough and I didn't need any drugs for this itty bitty cavity. Me being naive and never not having drugs was thinking yeah I've had so much work done maybe it won't hurt. Like heck it didn't hurt. I thought I was going to die. It was terrible!
Anyway it turns out that I don't need a root canal and don't even have a cavity or anything. Thank heavens, but I do have a problem with clenching my jaw at night. He said that when you clench your jaw it tends to make your teeth hyper sensitive and that a night guard would really help. Also because I have really deep crevasses plus a cross bite it makes my bite a little off and so he ground down some of my back teeth to make my bite better and that way it'll distribute the pressure better too.
So yay to no root canal or cavity or anything else. And yay to minimal pain and torture! :)





17 comments:
I hate, hate going to the dentist. It's mostly the "after" part, when the hygenist tells you how to brush your teeth-like it was just too much work to clean it for you every six months. Brush it this way. Ok-ay. Thank you. Just one of my peeves.
Hope that makes things better for you! I think I clench my jaw at night too. I tried a night guard for a while but it broke...I was thinking this could be the cause of my headaches, but I still don't know.
I do the grinding thing, too! Freaks my hubby out! Glad you didn't have to get drilled on! :)
I was scared for you for a minute. Glad that was over. Glad you dont have to have alot done, you know its your childrens fault you grind your teeth at night. Your afraid of what you will wake up too. Be like me and be up all night that way theres no time to grind and you know what each person is doing. hehe. take care
Yah! As the daughter of a dentist, you'd THINK I'd have good teeth.... Nope!
Oh Man, I'm glad you didn't have to get a root canal - but by the time I need one, I really want one. It's such a relief to finally get rid of the pain.
I am glad it wasn't anything major!
I agree. Hooray for that!
It's been three years since I went to the dentist and I really need to go. But, darn that lack of dental insurance thing!
I hate the dentist too! Love that picture though...
Yep, Ya for that......no cavities or root canals that is!
yay! that is so much better! i was getting worried for you! that is a relatively easy fix. WHOOHOO FOR THAT!
why sre dentist so frightening? I'm 'afraid' of them too!
I hate it when I over worry or stress about things that end up being no big deal. I am glad it wasn't worse.
Electricity freaks me out. I would have worried about that too. The funny thing my husband works for the power company.
Hmm?? This sounds like my trip to the dentist only they never were able to replicate the problem so he let me go and told me to come back when it hurts again - YEAH RIGHT! It took me THREE MONTHS to work up the nerve to make that appointment. I won't be seeing him again until it's time to get 'em cleaned.
YAY YOU!! NO ROOT CANAL!! That is truly something to celebrate!! WOOHOO!!
Yay for no root canal!!
I've had a ton of pain and it turned out I grind my teeth at night too!! My dentist (my uncle) made me a mouth guard to help. Do I use it? Oh heck noooo!! It makes me gag to have something in my mouth like that...so my teeth are being ground down to eventual nubs every night...sigh.
I'm glad that it was nothing major.. good luck with the not clenching... I have TMJ and know all about the clenching!
Post a Comment