We all went to the eye doctors within the last 2 weeks and we were told that Emma needed reading glasses. Her eyes aren't BAD but they think with a little help she might not need them when she's older. They call them learning glasses, I guess. She just needs them for reading and if she is on the computer. Anyway she got them today and she's so excited about them. You can't really tell in the pictures but they're black and lavender.
I figured I'd load a couple of colored pictures too so you can really see them...
So lately I've been trying to plan our meals out and have everything on hand and it's been working really nice... Tonight we had homemade rolls and Slow cooker creamy potato soup that I got from Becky! Thanks Becky we all loved it. Joe thought that it would be good with clams instead of bacon (blech) I was liking the bacon! It almost reminded me of Ham & Navy bean soup...
6 slices of bacon cut into pieces
1 onion finely chopped
2 cans chicken broth
2 cups water
5 large potatoes diced (I left mine pretty big so they wouldn't get too soft)
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp ground white pepper
2 cups half and half (I used fat free! Still tasted great)
1/2 cup flour
1 can (12 oz) evaporated milk
Place bacon and onion in large skillet. Cook over medium-high heat until bacon is evenly browned and onions are soft. Drain off grease.
Transfer the bacon and onion to a slow cooker and stir in chicken broth, water, potatoes, salt and pepper. cover and cook on low 6-7 hours stirring occasionally. (I think that you could totally go with 5 hours and be okay too.)
In a small bowl whisk together the half and half and flour. Stir into the soup along with the evaporated milk. Cover and cook another 30 minutes before serving.
Granny Greenup's Rockin Rolls
by Melanie JurgensIngredients:
6 cups of all-purpose flour
1/2 shortening
1/4 cup water
1 Tablespoon of salt
2 eggs (beaten)
2 cups of cold water
1 & 2/3 pkg of yeast or 1 & 1/2 Tablespoons of yeast
1/2 cup of sugar
Sift 6 cups of flour into large bowl & set aside. (I didn't do this. I just added it into my kitchen aid after everything else was mixed) Combine shortening, 1/4 cup water, salt, sugar & heat till shortening is melted, remove from heat & add 2 cups of cold water to cool down. Add yeast & 2 beaten eggs & stir till smooth. Make hole in flour & pour in half of liquid stirring from inside out. (again I didn't do this I just added it into the kitchen aid) Add remaining liquid & stir till combined. Cover with towel & set aside 1-2 hrs. Until doubled in size. Knead until together & roll till 1/2 inch thick. Cut into 3 inch squares and place on pan 1/4 inch apart. Cover & let sit for another 1-2 hours. Bake @ 350 for 15 minutes, remove from oven & brush with melted butter. Bake an additional 5 minutes until golden brown.
These were very light and airy so good!
P.S. Spell check worked TONIGHT!!! YIPPEEEE....




21 comments:
she looks cute! and glad she is excited about the glasses!
ok heavenly day dinner! that looks fabulous! and i might be able to tackle those recipes! maybe! looked delicious!
I did not say to take out the bacon, I said that it would be good if you added clams to make it a clam chowder.
Joe
I like Joe's comment, my hubby is a clam chowder fan too! I love crock pot meals.
You daughter looks so cute!! My oldest wears glasses too.
P.S. I tagged you for 7 Random things!! If you want to play along visit my blog :)
She looks fabulous in glasses. We're glasses friendly here, too. The soup and rolls look delish!
LOL! Second blog mentioning spellcheck working....
Emma looks great in her glasses and she has beautiful eyes, too. They almost look green in that picture!!
I so wish I could just grab one of those rolls. YUM!
I have not been able to eat for almost two days and that food looks so good, makes me hungry-er.
I love the glasses, my hubby just got some and he looks so cute.
She looks so cute and SO happy!
That soup looks delicious...I agree bacon sounds better.
Her glasses are so cute! How come when I was a kid glasses weren't stylish!?!?!
I'm glad to hear spell check is working again!
Cute glasses....... VERY cute, actually.
And, I think I'm going to cook a corn chowder for dinner tonight.
She look so cute and so grown-up! I love that she calls them learning glasses.
All of your recipes look so good, especially the breads and rolls . . . I need to get my act together and give them a try!
First of all, I love the glasses. She is adorable.
Second, that soup looks YUMMY. I need a new crockpot recipe!
TOOO cute! I love kids in glasses. So cute! And thanks for the recipies I needed a good roll recipe! Thank you.
Her glasses are adorable!! I started wearing glasses in the 1st grade and they were NOT that cute!!
Mmmmm, potato soup!! And who doesn't love a good roll??
Great recipes!
So cute. I have worn glasses since I was 6 and I was so excited about my first pair.
Emma looks great in glasses! The rolls look yummy!
Congrats on the glasses Emma!
I'm gonna try Becky's recipe, it does look good.
:)Rachel
OH YEAH!!!! MORE RECIPES!!!! THANK YOU!!!
LOVE the glasses!!! We are getting ready to take Emma in. I am sure she will need them eventually. I have worn glasses since I was 4. Joseph since he was 2! So I am sure it is coming.
Your dinner looks yummy! So glad that spell check worked for ya -- mine still isn't :(
We made this soup recipe tonight and it was sooo good!! Everyone asked for seconds. Thanks for sharing your recipes, it's great :)
Looks so yummy! Thanks for sharing. And your daughter looks adorable. I need to get me some of those stylin' glasses.
Post a Comment